What is #NGSchool?
#NGSchool (Next Generation School or Next Generation Sequencing School) is a project / platform to share the expertise in the field of High Throughput Sequencing Data Analysis and general Bioinformatics. Summer School in Bioinformatics & NGS Data Analysis, our flagship annual event, connects experts and students / early stage researchers from these fields, in order to exchange their expertise and learn one from other.
The very first Summer School in Bioinformatics & NGS Data Analysis (#NGSchool2016) was held on August 14-21, 2016 in Dolný Smokovec, Slovakia. We are currently organising the second event, #NGSchool2017, that will be held on Sep 10-17 2017 in Jachranka k/Warszawy. Registration for this edition closed on 30 June. We have received 205 applications from 42 countries, from these after very difficult selection, we invited 35 participants from 15 countries to attend #NGSchool2017.
Areas of interest
We select topics of interest for each event. Below you can find rather inclusive lists of our interests:
- working with Linux and command-line
- general NGS data handling
- data formats (FastQ, SAM, BAM, VCF)
- Quality Control
- de novo genome & transcriptome assembly
- dealing with heterozygous/polyploid genomes
- gene prediction and functional annotation
- detection of SNPs & SVs (deletions, duplications, inversions, translocations)
- prediction of functional effects of detected variants
- RNA-Seq & differential expression analyses
- single-cell RNA-Seq
- bisulphite sequencing, ChIP-Seq & Hi-C data analysis
- GWAS & integration of molecular data
- applications of NGS in biomedicine & industry
- personalised medicine
- prenatal testing
- forensic genomics
- statistics and machine learning
- algorithms in Bioinformatics
You can find materials from previous editions here.
We put a lot of effort to make #NGSchool not only useful, but also very social. Every year, we organise set of social events, including BBQ nights, movie & music nights, hiking in High Tatras and sightseeing (ie. Łomnica, Strbske Pleso, Poprad). So, beside hard working, we try to have lots of fun. Definitely check our photos from last editions!
Can I join this project?
We belive in #OpenScience, so everyone is welcome to participate! People having no prior experience with Bioinformatics are welcome, but strong motivation and intense preparation prior to the event is desired!
Sign-in for our mailing list if you are interested in next edition of #NGSchool. If you wish to contribute as speaker / partner / sponsor (our sponsor packages), join this group or contact us directly.
How much does it cost?
Real cost of #NGSchool oscilates around €500-€600 per participant. We try to keep the registration fee as low as possible in order to accommodate participants from less developed countries and/or poorer regions. Every year, we do our bests to find external funding.
Due to last moment cancellations of some #NGSchool2017 participants, we discontinue free-of-charge. We'll ask for symbolic registration fee, just to make sure that applicants are serious about attending.
- In 2016 we've received generous support for #NGSchool2016 from International Visegrad Fund, reducing registration fee to €50 and providing full boarding and travel grants (up to €100) to all participants.
- This year, we have received the grant from International Visegrad Fund again, so the registration for #NGSchool2017 covering accommodation and full boarding will be free of charge. In addition, thanks to partnership with Polish Bioinformatics Society we have received support from Ministry of Science and Higher Education RP to invite keynote speakers. We're currently discussing with commercial sponsors in order to provide travel grants to participants having difficulties with covering their travel expenses.
- We'll apply for Visegrad+ Grant for #NGSchool2018. Reach us if you happen to work in Western Balkans (Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Kosovo, Macedonia, Montenegro and Serbia) or Eastern Partnership countries (Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Georgia, Moldova and Ukraine).