As you know, we try to keep the #NGSchool registration fee as low as possible and we do our best to find external support. We rely heavily on funding from public sources to provide equal possibilities to all the participants and keep the school affordable for students from Eastern and Central European countries. Over the past three years, we relied principally on funding from the International Visegrad Fund. We regret to inform you that this year our grant proposal to finance #NGSchool2019 was rejected.
We gained some valuable feedback from the Fund and decided to reapply for the IFV grant in the next round of financing. Due to the application deadlines, however, we decided to push #NGSchool2019 back. We aim to hold the school in October, which means this year’s edition of NGSchool wouldn’t technically be a summer school. We realize these changes can impact heavily whether or not you’ll be able to attend the school, so we ask you to kindly confirm your participation in #NGSchool2019 between 24 and 31 October in Białobrzegi, Poland. If you already registered, please check the inbox of the e-mail address that you used for the registration. If you didn’t register - good news, you still have a chance! We are keeping the registration OPEN until 26 July.
Keeping our events affordable to early stage researchers is our highest priority, so we believe that pushing the School back is the best solution. We ask for your patience and understanding. Stay tuned for the next updates - we hope we’ll be able to get back to you with good news soon.
Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any questions or require additional information.
This year, we are planning to host a 8-day event of the following scheme:
- Days 1 and 2 with introductory workshops held by the organizers intended to bring all participants to the same level;
- Days 3 through 5 with workshops and lectures on Machine Learning given by the invited speakers;
- Half of Day 6 - a breather - networking event (sailing or hiking, depending on the venue),
- Rest of Day 6, and Days 7 and 8 - 5 parallel hackathons (max. 6 participants per group) guided by the mentors, concluded by hackathon presentations and summary.
With the workshops we want to cover most, if not all, topics outlined in ESL (among others: regression, classification, models (additive, trees etc.), boosting, neural networks, unsupervised learning, and other related topics).
- Katarzyna Kędzierska, WCHG, OX, Oxford, GB
- Leszek Pryszcz, CRG, ES / IIMCB, PL
- Samantha Filipów, IITD PAN, Wrocław, PL
- Alina Frolova, IMBG, Kyiv, UA
- Maja Kuzman, University of Zagreb, HR
- Maciej Łapiński, IIMCB, Warsaw, PL
- Eugeniusz Tralle, IIMCB, Warsaw, PL
- German Demidov, University of Tuebingen, DE
Registration was opened on Monday, March 4, 12 PM CET. Applicants may fill and edit the form until 23:59 CET on July 26. You can find more information about the selection procedure. You can register here.
As in the previous years, we have applied for the grant under Visegrad+ scheme. We did our best with the application and are hopeful to receive the funding. Visegrad has generously sponsored all 3 previous editions of #NGSchool - Summer School in Bioinformatics. If successful in securing this funding, the registration fee will be set to €100, as the grant will cover most of the event expenses. We are working hard to secure other financial sources as well, we will share the results of our work on Facebook, Twitter and our website.
If you are interested in supporting NGSchool or would like to learn more, don't hesitate to contact us directly. We are looking forward to initiating rewarding and lasting professional relationships.
More information coming soon, so stay tuned!