Summer School in Bioinformatics & NGS Data Analysis (NGSchool2016) will be held on August 14-21, 2016 in Dolný Smokovec, Slovakia. In the course of one week, the participants will attend the series of lectures and workshops, covering various aspects of Computational Biology, focusing on state-of-the-art techniques related to Next-Generation Sequencing (NGS) and its application in research, health-care and industry. It is mainly addressed to students and researchers in early stage of their careers. Nevertheless, we invite also more advanced researchers to apply.
The course covered wide range of topics:
- introduction to Linux and Bioinformatics focusing on NGS-related analyses
- general handling of NGS data
- data formats (FastQ, SAM, BAM, VCF)
- Quality Control
- de novo genome & transcriptome assembly
- gene prediction and functional annotation
- detection of SNPs & SVs (deletions, duplications, inversions, translocations)
- prediction of functional effects of detected variants
- RNA-Seq & differential expression analyses
- bisulphite sequencing, ChIP-Seq & Hi-C data analysis
- GWAS & integration of molecular data
- applications of NGS in biomedicine
You will learn both, command-line (Linux) and online (Galaxy) tools. People having no prior experience with Bioinformatics are welcome, but strong motivation is desired!
Participants should bring their own laptops with Ubuntu installed! We will provide some toy examples, but we encourage you to bring your own datasets. The course was held in English.
- Broňa Brejová, Univerzita Komenského, Bratislava, SK
- Roman Cheplyaka, Software engineer, Odessa, UKR
- German Demidov, CRG, Barcelona, ES
- Sophia Derdak, CNAG, Barcelona, ES
- Russell Hamilton, University of Cambridge, UK
- Matej Lexa, Masaryk University, Brno, CZ
- Maciej Łapiński, IIMCB, Warsaw, PL
- Marina Marcet-Houben, CRG, Barcelona, ES
- Jacek Marzec, BCI, London, UK
- Leszek Pryszcz, IIMCB, Warsaw, PL
- Paulina Stachula, IIMCB, Warsaw, PL
- Tomáš Vinař, Univerzita Komenského, Bratislava, SK
- Bartek Wilczyński, MIM, University of Warsaw, PL
We'll organise set of social events, including BBQ nights, movie night, hiking in High Tatras and sightseeing (ie. Łomnica, Strbske Pleso). We'll make sure, there is plenty of fun, beside hard working during workshops ;)
Registration has been opened between 1 May and 1 July 2016 (12:00 CET). The registration fee covering all expenses (materials, accommodation, meals and travel grant) was just €50, thanks to generous support received from International Visegrad Fund. In addition, we provided all participants with travel grants (up to €50).
#NGSchool2016 in numbers
We have received over 80 applications from 15 countries (52 from V4), from these 30 applicants from 11 countries were selected by our Scientific committee. Selected participants represented several fields of Science (including biology, biochemistry, medicine, computer science and related disciplines) and stages of career (undergrad, master and PhD students, as well as, postdocs). For more info, see our Alumni.