#NGSchool (Next Generation School) is a platform to share the expertise in the field of Next Generation Sequencing Data Analysis and general Bioinformatics. Our aim is to deepen and broaden knowledge and skills in Bioinformatics of all participants. Summer School in Bioinformatics & NGS Data Analysis, our flagship annual event, connects experts and early stage researchers from these fields, in order to exchange their expertise and learn one from another. In addition, starting from 2018, we started organising number local events (read more about our events).
Currently we're working on #NGSchool2018 that will focus on single molecule real-time (SMRT) sequencing & personalised medicine. In addition, for the first time we'll organise hackatkons (Single-molecule sequencing: from sample to results) and co-organise two satellite meetings: Nuclear Landscapes 2018 and `Data mining & machine learning`.
Areas of interest
We select topics of interest for each event. Below you can find rather inclusive lists of our interests:
- SMRT & personalised medicine (#NGSchool2018)
- single-cell sequencing (#NGSchool2017)
- general NGS data analysis (#NGSchool2016)
- working with Linux and command-line
- general NGS data handling & Quality Control
- data formats (FastQ, SAM, BAM, VCF)
- de novo genome & transcriptome assembly
- dealing with heterozygous/polyploid genomes
- gene prediction and functional annotation
- detection of SNPs & SVs
- RNA-Seq & differential expression analyses
- bisulphite sequencing, ChIP-Seq & Hi-C data analysis
- GWAS & integration of molecular data
- applications of NGS in biomedicine & industry
You can find materials from previous editions here.
We put a lot of effort to make #NGSchool not only useful, but also very social. Every year, we organise set of social events, including BBQ nights, movie & music nights, hiking and sightseeing. Definitely check photos from our events!
Can I join this project?
We belive in #OpenScience, so everyone is welcome to participate! People having no prior experience with Bioinformatics are welcome, but strong motivation is desired! You can read more about the ideal participant and selection criteria.
How much does it cost?
Real cost of #NGSchool oscillates around €500-€600 per participant. We try to keep the registration fee as low as possible in order to accommodate participants from less developed countries and/or poorer regions. Every year, we do our bests to find external funding.
Due to last moment cancellations of some #NGSchool2017 participants, we discontinue free-of-charge. We'll ask for symbolic registration fee, just to make sure that applicants are serious about attending.
- In 2016 we've received generous support for #NGSchool2016 from International Visegrad Fund, reducing registration fee to €50 and providing full boarding and travel grants (up to €100) to all participants.
- In 2017, we've received the grant from International Visegrad Fund again, so the registration for #NGSchool2017 covering accommodation and full boarding was free of charge. In addition, thanks to partnership with Polish Bioinformatics Society we have received support from Ministry of Science and Higher Education RP to invite keynote speakers.
- In 2018, we've received Visegrad+ Grant for #NGSchool2018 from International Visegrad Fund. Visegrad+ grant covers the expenses of participants from V4 (Czechia, Hungary, Poland & Slovakia), Western Balkans (Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Kosovo, Macedonia, Montenegro and Serbia) and Eastern Partnership countries (Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Georgia, Moldova and Ukraine). Currently, we're looking for commercial supporters.