In 2018, we’ve organised a series of problem-oriented workshops focused on NGS data analysis in partnership with RNA Club Warsaw (@RNAClubWarsaw). Each workshop consisted of theoretical introduction (30-60 min) and hands-on training (2-3h). We’ve provided some toy examples, but you are encouraged to bring your own datasets. Keep in mind, analysing your own data may take more time than we’d have for each workshop. We’ve accommodated 15-20 participants on first-come-first-served basis for all events. Participants of previous workshops were be notified in advance.
Events & dates
All events took place in IIMCB, Warsaw. After each workshop we've moved outside to continue discussions over a drink.
- 8 Feb 15:00-19:00: Introduction to Linux, Bioinformatics & NGS [Maciej Łapiński / Leszek Pryszcz
- 8 Mar 11:00-18:00: De novo genome/transcriptome assembly and annotation [Magdalena Płecha / Leszek Pryszcz]
- 9 Apr: 11:00-18:00: ChIP-seq data analysis [Maciej Łapiński]
- 15 May 11:00-17:00: RNA-seq data analysis course for biologists [Karim Abu Nahia / Maciej Migdał / Michał Pawlak]
Photos from all events can be found in this album.
The workshops are meant for total beginners. No prior experience in Bioinformatics or NGS is required, but you should be very motivated and dedicated. Bring your own laptop with at least 4GB of RAM, 20GB of space and Ubuntu 16.04 installed. You can install Ubuntu in Virtual Machine or install it as Windows program using Wubi on Windows XP, Vista & 7. Note, those alternatives come with certain limitations, so standard installation is recommended.
- Tomasz Wirecki, IIMCB, Warsaw, PL
- Adrianna Żyła, IIMCB, Warsaw, PL
- Katarzyna Merdas, IIMCB, Warsaw, PL
- Leszek Pryszcz, IIMCB, Warsaw, PL
Partners & supporters
RNA Club meets #NGSchool in numbers
We hosted 79 participants during 4 workshops. Participants represented several fields of Science (including biology, biochemistry, medicine, computer science and related disciplines) and stages of career (undergrad, master and PhD students, as well as, postdocs). For more info, see our Alumni.