#NGSchool is aiming to deepen and broaden knowledge and skills in Bioinformatics of all participants. The ideal participant should:
- have the basic understanding of biology allowing her/him to design and follow experiments
- have the basic literacy in Bioinformatics allowing her/him to write simple scripts, as well as design and follow bioinformatics pipelines
- use the skills later on. We want people that are going to pursue PhDs, or careers in bioinfo sector. We don’t want people that just want a nice entry to their CV.
- not be over experienced. We want everybody to learn something new. If you are experienced in most covered topics, please consider organising a workshop or becoming our partner.
If you fulfill above, please register here. You can submit the form even if you satisfy the above criteria only partially, however, we will prioritise applicants who satisfy our conditions fully. You can read more about selection process below.
The selection will be anonymous in order to make entire process as objective as possible. We won’t share with reviewers your personal information (`About you` section) and your affiliation. Each applicant will be evaluated by at least two independent reviewers. Applicants from V4 and outside will be evaluated independently. Each applicant will receive 3 marks for:
- Motivation of the applicant
- How likely is the applicant to benefit from the school?
- How crucial is the course for his/her future research progress / project?
- Qualification level of the applicant
- Biology - multiple-choice questions (at least 2 correct answers required)
- Bioinformatics - Rosalind or project repository
- Personal opinion of the reviewer
We’ll invite applicants with highest average score for Motivation & Qualification level. Personal opinions will be used to rank applicants having the same scores. We'll select ~27 best applicants from V4, ~13 best applicants from non-V4. From selected candidates, we’ll further select 5-10 applicants for travel grants based on `Justification` column. All applicants will be informed about the results no later than 4 weeks after registration closing.
Please post all questions regarding registration and selection procedure using this form. We’ll make our best to answer them ASAP.
Q: I’m wet-lab biologist with very little-to-no experience in Bioinformatics. Can I apply?
A: If you are biologist that has minimal experience in Bioinformatics, we kindly ask you to register at the http://rosalind.info and solve problems (more is better) from the sections Python Village, Bioinformatics Stronghold, Bioinformatics Armory or Algorithmic Heights. This will prove your basic literacy in Bioinformatics.
Q: I’m experienced Bioinformatician, but I’d like to learn something new. Can I still apply?
A: If you are Bioinformatician or you already have some experience in Bioinformatics, we ask you to show us the code of one of your previous projects (github, bitbucket or similar, or link to paper in bioinformatics that you co-authored, however, your contribution as a bioinformatician into the paper must be clearly described in the text). If you:
- do not have such or
- overall length of the code in your project was less than 500 lines or
- your code consists only of simple* scripts or
- the project you have on github is not in bioinformatics,
we ask you to register on http://rosalind.info and solve Rosalind problems (more is better) from the sections Python Village, Bioinformatics Stronghold, Bioinformatics Armory or Algorithmic Heights. This will prove your basic literacy in Bioinformatics.
*If you have doubts whether your GitHub project is too simple or not - then please, solve problems from http://rosalind.info.