The newly established ‘Single cell genomics of tissue regeneration’ lab at CRG Barcelona will focus on the development of cutting-edge single-cell genomic and bioinformatic tools to study the maintenance, regulation and development of adult stem cells in health and disease, with a focus on the hematopoietic system and myeloid leukemia. In the past, single-cell RNA-seq was used to challenge the text book model of hematopoiesis, and the CRG researchers have developed integrated spatial and single-cell genomic approaches to map the organization of the hematopoietic stem cell niche (under revision). In parallel, they have developed methods to investigate mRNA isoform heterogeneity at the single cell level, to study the effects of cancer mutations on gene expression, and to make single-cell RNA-seq more scalable.
In the new lab, it is going to be build on this work in order to:
- Integrate single-cell RNA-seq with lineage tracing, using naturally occurring mutations, and use these methods to investigate the developmental origin and maintenance of lymphoid immune cells.
- Further develop tools to identify cancer stem cells in leukemia by single-cell genomics, and thereby identify drug targets specific to leukemic stem cells.
- Use single cell genomics as a tool for the engineering of synthetic gene regulatory elements with high lineage specificity.
- You have practical experience in molecular biology or bioinformatics
- Good working knowledge of statistics is needed
- You have substantial research experience
- Fluency in English
Desirable but not required
- An understanding of biology and genomics methods is a big plus
Education and training
- University degree (M.Sc. or equivalent) in Bioinformatics, Physics, Computer Science, Biology, or Biotechnology
- Knowledge of R and/or python
- Knowledge of the Linux command line
- Willingness to learn new skills, possibly outside of your comfort zone. We work in a highly interdisciplinary manner.
- Entrepreneurial spirit needed to help set up a new lab.
Contract duration: 4 year PhD position
Estimated annual gross salary: Salary is commensurate with qualifications and consistent with our pay scales.
Target start date: 15th January, 2020
CRG provides a highly stimulating environment with state-of-the-art infrastructures, and unique professional career development opportunities.
CRG offers and promotes a diverse and inclusive environment and welcomes applicants regardless of age, disability, gender, nationality, race, religion or sexual orientation.
The CRG is committed to reconcile a work and family life of its employees and are offering extended vacation period and the possibility to benefit from flexible working hours.
All applications must be addressed to Dr. Lars Velten and be submitted throught the application form
More details here